ownCloud Server 10.0.4 beta1 and ownCloud client 2.4.0 alpha released. Please help testing!
October 18, 2017
ownCloud Server 10.0.4 beta1 has been released and received a lot of fixes (and more to come)
If you are upgrading manually, please make sure to properly remove the old source code as mentioned in the update instructions.
In this beta release, there is a known issue related to the integrity check. Please ignore the warning for now if related to the mimetypelist.js file, see https://github.com/owncloud/core/issues/29277
- Added support for eml mimetype – #29204
- Added “occ dav:cleanup-chunks” command to clean up expired uploads – #291801
- Added “occ files:scan” repair mode to repair mismatch filecache paths – #290741 #292321
- Detailed mode for “occ security:routes” – #29095
- Webdav property to retrieve a private link to files or folders – #29041
- CORS support for public API routes – #288521
- More “files_sharing” capabilities entries – #29040
- Display server name in admin page, don’t show in status.php – #28938
- Validate public link mail on the client side – #29042
- Expose XHR response in share dialog autocomplete callback for extensions – #29231
- Exclude mimetypelist.js from integrity check – #29048
- Refactor set and reset of capabilities – #29200
- All amazon locations support v4 now – v3 deprecated – #29153
- Modified time value of files is now 64 bits long – #28961
- User names must now be at least 3 characters long – #29237
- Remove AvatarPermissions repair step – #292021
- Remove unused FTP code – #29186
- Remove app store related code obsoleted by market – #29249
- Corrected namespace for OC\Memcache\ArrayCache which caused errors on some environments – #292191
- Use product name from theme – #29251
- Make sure the external storage folder name is editable when returning from OAuth authorization – #29253
- Fix duplicate external storage config that appear sometimes when returning from OAuth authorization – #29254
- Log exceptions in decrypt-all command – #29248
- SFTP key pair mode now works again – #29156
- Use correct class namespace for ownCloud ext storage – #28935
- Handle case of empty folder in userDeletesEverythingInFolder – #291631
- Fix generated zip file to avoid errors with some zip tools – #291491
- Fix position of dialog boxes – #29133
- Move 64bit mtime migration from dav to core – #29121
- Allow 0 byte quota to be entered on UI – #29113
- Don’t display warning about limited commands when running maintenance:install – #28968
- Handle no user session in isSharingDisabledForUser() – #28915
- Fix icon format for federated cloud sharing – #28972
- Fix for decrypting user specific keys – #29189
- Remove alternate keys storage during user delete – #29155
- Fix error logs due to deletion of keys – #28934
- Fix encryption panel to properly detect current mode after upgrade to ownCloud 10 – #29049
Please help testing and report issues in the core repository for platform issues or any of the app repositories if the bug is in an app. If this version works for you, you can post a comment too
ownCloud client 2.4.0 Alpha
We’re proud to release the first Alpha version of the 2.4.0 desktop client. Among a ton of refactorings we’ve done to stay future-proof, there are also new features like OAuth2 support, a better error view, more sharing features and better file manager integration.
We consider it quite safe to use (the auto test suites pass!) but we encourage you (as always) to have backups of your data.
We also provide a build in the ‘testpilotcloud’ theme. This is an independent themed client (using ownBrander) that you can use with a separate sync configuration.
Please see the ChangeLog and download links on https://owncloud.org/changelog/desktop/54
Please report any issues as soon as possible to us. Ideally here in the thread or directly on GitHub. https://github.com/owncloud/client/issues
As usual, thanks to all contributors.
PS: https://github.com/owncloud/oauth24 is needed server-side for OAuth2. Will also be in the ownCloud marketplace soon.
Meet fellow ownClouders online with video
October 17, 2017
meet fellow ownClouders, engineers and and just all kinds of people around the ownCloud platform now in a weekly call.
The engineers at owncloud use a tool very often https://meet.jit.si/ to gather together in ad hoc conference meetings and discuss improvements and other ownCloud related stuff.
To open up we decided to have a weekly meeting, in a video chat with all of you.
Starting from thursday the 21st October we will have a chat at 4pm/16:00 CEST in the afternoon. (Download ics.)
Just join the channel https://meet.jit.si/owncloud .
We have at the beginning no fixed schedule or agenda, this is left open on purpose.
Please note that this online-meetup is not intended to be a support channel. It should be a channel to communicate, chat, hang out and meet other like-minded people.
See you on thursday!
ownCloud Android 2.5.0 release. Now with oAuth2 support.
October 9, 2017
ownCloud Android client 2.5.0 comes with a new Secure Authentication Workflow, improved stability and some enhancements.
oauth2 adds another security layer to your ownCloud.
oauth2 is a mechanism that prevents you from storing your credentials on the device itself. The device gets a token by the server which can be revoked any time. This means there is no login credentials on the device which could be read by thefts.
Trend Micro says in this study (Link to .pdf) : Hacking or malware are not the leading causes of breaches. Device loss is the main cause for Data Breaches.
For more information on oauth2 check out this article on digital ocean.
Other Improvements in this release:
- Show file listing option (anonymous upload) when sharing a folder (OC X required)
- Proper notifications when virus is detected during upload.
- Some UX/UI Fixes
- Instant uploads now more reliable
- Bug fixes
Get the app now on the google Playstore https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.owncloud.android
(The update will happen soon on fdroid aswell).
Check out the source code on github.
New app release: How to connect your Dropbox with api v2 as external storage to ownCloud
October 2, 2017
Earlier this year Dropbox announced to drop it’s api v1 in favour of dropbox api v2.
On September 28th the api v1 endpoint was turned off.
As of now still both authentication methods are available in ownCloud, while only api v2 with oauth2 works from now on. You may ask why ownCloud develops an app to access the storage of an competitor.
The reason is quite simple: We believe that ownCloud users should have access to their files from one secure, single point of access. ownCloud integrates well with all kinds of storages and dropbox is just one of them.
Just follow these easy steps to connect your ownCloud to Dropbox:
#4 Now in the Admin overview click storage. Add the storage connection in your overview and make sure you selected the dropbox connection with oauth2.
#5 Login to the dropbox developers page and create a new app:
#6 Then choose which folders to share, or to share everything in your Dropbox.
#7 Name Your App and then click Create App
#8 Under the section OAuth2 Redirect URIs add a new URL
http://path/to/owncloud/index.php/settings/admin?sectionid=storage (Replace http://path/to/owncloud/index.php with your valid owncloud installation path)
#9 If you are a regular user you must use the URL http://path/to/owncloud/index.php/settings/personal?sectionid=storage
#10 Fill the details Client Id, Client Secrets from you Dropbox App page
#11 Click Grant Access and then you will be redirected for OAuth login
#12 After completing the OAuth you will be redirect back to Storage Section and you should see green mark along your storage configuration
You are ready to go.
In the near future with (10.0.4) we will remove the dropbox api v1 from core and continue our successful path in modularising the ownCloud platform.
oAuth2 as a an authentication industry standard will be soon available for all clients connected to the ownCloud server as well. We are working strongly on strapping unnecessary code from core and to further modularise the ownCloud platform to make development faster, more secure and easier accessible for developers, users and administrators all around the world.
Happy integrating and many thanks to Hemant!
Join the ownCloud Meetup in Thessaloniki!
October 2, 2017
Meet Clean Code & DevOps Practitioner Patrick Jahns and Desktop Lead Michael Stingl at the ownCloud Thessaloniki Meetup.
We are happy to announce our first event of the season after ownCloud conference 2017.
Konstanze Niedung, Michael Stingl and Patrick Jahns from ownCloud community (and the company) will travel to Thessaloniki and will show us how to build an app very easy and to publish it to the ownCloud marketplace.
The workshop is hands on, so don’t forget to bring your laptop with you.
While the main focus is on the workshop, don’t hesitate to come around and meet up with your fellow ownClouders and ask any questions you might have.
The meetup will take place at Lambda Space (https://www.lambdaspace.gr/), we thank them very much.
We’ll start at 19.00 until 21.00.
We can continue our meeting drinking beer or your preferred beverage at a place near the Lambda Space. We especially thank https://twitter.com/eiosifidis for making this happen!