ownCloud development week 29 and 30
This is the bi-weekly ownCloud community update for the weeks of July 14 to 27. These updates pull together activities from development mailing lists, blogs, coding work and everything else community members share with us. Tips are very much welcome! Ping Jos with your input. The biggest items during the last couple of weeks was […]
This is the bi-weekly ownCloud community update for the weeks of July 14 to 27. These updates pull together activities from development mailing lists, blogs, coding work and everything else community members share with us. Tips are very much welcome! Ping Jos with your input.
The biggest items during the last couple of weeks was of course the ownCloud release on July the 23rd. We’re very proud of the release and we got a lot of positive feedback in the press and social media – and from you. Thanks to everybody who was involved!
No rest for the weary, after the release, development for the next ownCloud started, although effort was also put into updating ownCloud apps for compatibility with the new release and dealing with incoming issues.
You can read the previous report on week 27 and 28 here.
Core and apps
- Most changes in Core were around fixing issues found before and shortly after the release, but there have also been design improvements, the addition of group management to the public API, an improvement to encryption that went back to ownCloud stable 6, the ability to tell users if a file/folder they delete is regular, external or shared (which resulted in a ‘I can backport faster than you’ competition) and web app support
- Lots of activity in the Activity app, with 21 pull requests closed in two weeks. Most are fixes or small behavioral changes like not showing a scrollbar anymore.
- Some pull requests fixing issues were merged in the Calendar app
- The task app integrated aa commenting on tasks feature
- The Documents app received some design fixes
On apps.owncloud.com there have been no less than 13 updates in the period covered! Much of this is to update for ownCloud 7 compatibility but some introduced other features and no less than 4 apps are entirely new!
- Passman is a brand new ownCloud app: a password manager for your cloud!
- New also is cloudpress but it comes without a description so we don’t know what it should do
- The next newcomer ocSafe allows you to encrypt one file at a time. It doesn’t yet advertise ownCloud 7 compatibility but this could be just what you were looking for!
- Last but not least in the newcomer league, drawio introduces a diagram editor to ownCloud!
- Rainloop Webmail introduced a new SSO API
- ocDashboard 1.3 has some other minor improvements
- Enhanced Tasks allows commenting on tasks
- The Embedded Videostream app introduced shared files support
- Big changes are introduced in the Working2gether app, a Pseudo multiaccess-management feature for Owncloud allowing you to lock and unlock files. This release works on ownCloud 7, no longer creates lockfiles (which sometimes created issues) and brings a new Admin panel. From now on, only ownCloud 7 will be supported!
Other development updates
On the 27th we concluded our series of sneak peeks into ownCloud 7 with the sneak peek for developers.
A bugfix release of the Client came out on the 28th. Also from the mailing list:
- There was a discussion on answering technical questions on stackoverflow.com
- And another inspired by a reddit thread about having a sync daemon on the server
Other ownCloud happenings
There are meetups being organized around ownCloud! For those of you living in or close to Berlin or Münich, there will be a meetup every third Wednesday of the month. All ownCloud meetups will be gathered on the ownCloud event page.
ownCloud meetups are a chance to learn more about ownCloud or even to get coding work done. If you know of other (regular or not) meetups or are interested in organizing one yourself, check these pages for more information.
Thanks, as always, for reading our development overview!