ownCloud development week 25 and 26
This is the weekly ownCloud community update for the week of June 16 to June 29. These updates pull together activities from development mailing lists, blogs, coding work and everything else community members share with us. Tips are very much welcome! Ping Jos with your input. Most development is now aimed at testing the upcoming […]
This is the weekly ownCloud community update for the week of June 16 to June 29. These updates pull together activities from development mailing lists, blogs, coding work and everything else community members share with us. Tips are very much welcome! Ping Jos with your input.
Most development is now aimed at testing the upcoming ownCloud 7. A beta was made available for testing and minor releases for ownCloud and the desktop client were released. There was much activity on apps.owncloud.com with six updated and two brand new apps.
You can read the report from last two weeks here.
As noted last week, development is in feature freeze for the release of ownCloud 7 and we focus on polish and stability. There is thus relatively little news from the front line, other than of course our call for testing!
Core and apps
- There’s work going on to adapt apps to the new API and UI in ownCloud 7, like the Video viewer app, the Music app, the News app and the Documents app
- The Android app can now show what files have been shared with you by others
- ownCloud desktop client 1.6.1 was released, read this blog by Klaas for some background on the hard work the team put in.
While feature work took a backseat, more than 150 commits were merged in core alone!
While ownCloud core development was looking at polishing the upcoming release apps.owncloud.com saw plenty of activity:
- The ocDashboard app got to version 1.2, adding widget search, a new ‘open weather’ widget and new tasks in the task widget as well as some other improvements. Probably not surprising anybody, this app provides an overview dashboard with configurable widgets for ownCloud
- Roundcube integration in ownCloud received some love, updating to 2.4.0 which according to the changelog delivers a code cleanup and a refresh error fix to its users
- The Storage Charts app also was updated but it isn’t clear what changed. Perhaps it works with ownCloud 7?
- Working Together, a app that allows you to ‘lock’ files so you can ensure that no two people are concurrently editing a file, has been updated and is confirmed to work with the ownCloud 7 Beta
- The Popup app, still wet behind the ears, got an update to 0.2 – fixing a bug in the forgot password section. Its developer has even defined a TODO item so I think we can soon expect another update!
- The Antivirus app has been updated to 0.4.1
- New is the ownCloud Collaboration app released as 1.0. This tool is a project management app for ownCloud and has been developed by three students from the Sona College of Technology under guidance of Professor Dr. Akilandeswari
- Another brand new app was introduced, with the name APK Info. It does what the name suggests: show information about APK (android software package) files
Other development updates
- The development mailing list had discussions about ownCloud 7 changes like the new layout, JS context objects and the new shared folder model
- ownCloud 7 Alpha 2 was released
- ownCloud 7 beta was made available for testing
- ownCloud client 1.6.1 RC1 was released (final is out too)
Other ownCloud happenings
On Planet ownCloud we have been missing the blogs by Raghu Nayyar, as we couldn’t get him added to our blog roll properly. And missing is the right word, as Raghu has been working on the ownCloud Calendar, and is doing great work. Those who wish to read up on what he has been up to can find his blog here.
We’ve got a new website up! If you haven’t seen it yet, visit owncloud.org and check it out!
On the devel mailing list, Chris asked people to help answer questions on the forum. There are unanswered questions and any help is welcome!
There are meetups being organized around ownCloud! For those of you living in or close to Berlin or Münich, there will be a meetup every third Wednesday of the month. And Tuesday July the 8th, there will be a meetup in the ownCloud headquarters in Lexingtontalk, close to Boston, Massachusetts. All ownCloud meetup groups are gathered on owncloud.meetup.com. Last but not least in meeting news, ownCloud will have a contributor conference at the end of August in Berlin, Germany. Check it out if you want to help make ownCloud even more awesome!
ownCloud meetups are a chance to learn more about ownCloud or even to get coding work done. If you know of other (regular or not) meetups or are interested in organizing one yourself, let me know so I can help you out!