ownCloud Server 8.1 Feature Improvements
Jump to improvements for: Users |
Administrators | Developers
End User Improvements
Federated Cloud ID
You can now find your Federated Cloud ID in the settings, making it easy to start sharing with other ownCloud servers. Federated Cloud ID's added to your address book will auto-complete in the share dialog.
To make ownCloud easier to use, documentation has been massively improved and integrated in the interface. Warnings and notifications come with documentation links, options are explained in the user interface and a tips and tricks section in the admin settings brings the ownCloud documentation closer.
This ownCloud release brings much improved performance, with up to 4x faster up- and downloads and an order of magnitude faster file manipulation. Better scalability through improved handling of parallel requests means ownCloud can now handle up to 50% more active users on each ownCloud Server instance.
An updated ownCloud Documents app improves on document compatibility and introduces new features like indentation buttons and annotations support as well as working keyboard shortcuts for Firefox users.
There have been many small changes to ownCloud, including:
- Improved thumbnail generation engine and added preview support for fonts and 3D images.
- Automatic database, trash and version cleanups don't cause system wide slow-downs anymore
- With certain mail server configurations, setting the correct sender address now works
- File meta data like sharing or favorite state is preserved when files are deleted and undeleted
- Conditional logging extends logging to debug level when conditions you set are met
- Upgrading is far more reliable due to better handling of maintenance mode and more (optional) verbosity during the upgrade
- User avatars are shown in sharing dialogs
- And much more.
Administration and Management Enhancements
System administrators are strongly encouraged to check out the release notes for ownCloud 8.1 before upgrading or doing a fresh installation!
New Mount Options for External Storage
External storage now features new mount options. Performance can be fine-tuned per mount by enabling or disabling encryption and previews and choosing how often to check for changes to the underlying storage. Some authentication options have been added to CIFS/SMB and FTPS (which now features SSH key support).
LDAP Wizard Improvements
The LDAP wizard has been updated to be faster and offer several (optional) auto-detection features and test buttons to verify settings. The user interface was also improved, offering visual user and group selection options among other things.
A modularization of the Encryption capabilities in ownCloud allows for external key management, provides improved reliability and management, and sets the foundation for future encryption enhancements.
There have been a raft of architectural improvements and changes made which harden ownCloud against security threats. Some of these are described here.
The built in Updater app and our package repositories now offer different Release Channels to keep ownCloud updated from. Administrators can choose to track the latest released code, a more conservative stable branch, release candidates, or daily builds to align their ownCloud installation to their needs. Make your choice here.
The built in app store now has the ability to install all apps from the online app store, including the apps not yet approved and verified. This comes, of course, at a security- and stability risk, which the administrator should be aware off.
To make developing a custom ownCloud theme easier, a new example theme was included with ownCloud 8.1. Find details on how to theme ownCloud in the documentation.
Improvements for Developers
ownCloud is meant to be a platform
. For this release, much effort was put in the infrastructure for building and distributing apps for ownCloud.
- The process of getting apps in the appstore is now documented.
- We made many improvements to the ownCloud API: there have been over 190 additions and 50 deprecated functions.
- Sharing capabilities are now exposed to allow external applications (desktop client, mobile clients etc.) to provide a better UX.
- And much, much more.
For more details, see this blog about ownCloud 8.1 for app developers.
See all features of ownCloud on the Features page.
Discuss ownCloud with others
Join the ownCloud community
ownCloud Contributor Conference