New in ownCloud Server 8.2
This release introduces significant design improvements including a new look and a sidebar giving quick access to file information.
Pictures Becomes Gallery
The Gallery app replaces the Pictures app with a much nicer user experience introducing image sorting, image zoom, easy switching from the Files app and more.
Notifications and Deletions
Admins now have the ability to send notifications to users and set limits on file retention in the trash.
Mobile and Desktop Syncing
Access your data on any platform. Use the Android or iOS clients to work with your files on the go or synchronize your favorite folders seamlessly between your desktop and laptop devices.
Share With Anybody
ownCloud lets you share. You can share with users on your ownCloud, users on other ownCloud servers or send public links with or without upload rights, protected by passwords and automatic expiration.
Keep your data where it is - your NAS, FTP drive or Samba. Add external storage to your ownCloud with Dropbox, SWIFT, FTPs, Google Docs, S3, external WebDAV servers and more.
Encryption and Security
ownCloud encrypts your data in transit with secure https connections. You can enable the encryption app to encrypt data on storage for improved security and privacy.
Versioning and Undelete
ownCloud stores your data and lets you bring back data that was deleted accidentally. Find previous versions of files you modified and bring them back.
See what is going on in your ownCloud. See who shared a file with you or when you created, changed or deleted files. Access the feed via RSS, the web interface, an API for Desktop or Mobile clients or receive email notifications.
Calendars and Contacts
Share your calendar with other ownCloud users or groups on your ownCloud server, easily and quickly. Store your contacts in ownCloud and share them among your devices so you always have access to your friends, family and colleagues.
ownCloud Documents is collaborative editing of rich-text documents that lets up to 5 individuals collaborate to edit .odt or .doc files securely within the browser. Documents may then be shared inside ownCloud or via a public link. See it in action on YouTube
Share photo galleries with friends and family. Give them access to upload pictures, view and download them. Send a link to anybody you choose, and control whether they can share those photos with anyone else.
Play Music, Watch Movies, Store Passwords
Use the Music app to listen to your songs, securely store your passwords in Passman and stream your movies with the Streaming app. ownCloud is an application platform putting functionality at your service.
Want to add more capabilities to ownCloud? Simply enable a new application in the App store, and it will be automatically downloaded and installed in your ownCloud instance.
ownCloud in Action
Find more ownCloud videos on our YouTube Channel.
- ownCloud is open source - there are no limitations and you can inspect, integrate, extend and modify ownCloud however you want.
- Search, favorites and an easy user interface.
- File editing and preview support for PDF, images, text files, Open Document, Word files and more.
- Integration of anti-virus scanning functionality with the anti-virus app.
- LDAP / Active Directory integration
- Example files for new users. Preload a new user's Files area with, for example, a tutorial file, which appears when they first log in.
- Powerful integrated logging
- Fine-grained control over access to data and sharing capabilities by user and by group.
- Advanced quota management with configurable accounting of external storage.
- Sharing REST API. Control sharing from mobile apps and desktop clients
- Easy development of 3rd party apps with the share REST API. Quick access to core functions for app development with the powerful ownCloud App API and webhooks following the publication / subscription model.
Find answers to your questions on our Frequently Asked Questions page.